Monday, August 25, 2008

My Hero - Debra Bartoshevich - A Great American (And Wisconsinite too!)

Greetings,

Now I never have been and never will be a fan of Hillary Clinton but I must say I admire some of her followers. My personal hero lately has been Debra Bartoshevich. I'll tell you why too. Years ago - and I will come clean, the first election I voted in was Mondale -vs- Reagan back in 1984. In that race I voted for Mondale because in spite of the fact I really found Reagan attractive as a candidate I could not reconcile his tax cuts with his promise to increase military spending. I just did not think it was fiscally responsible back then but I also did not understand how cutting marginal tax rates increased personal spending and thereby increased government revenue. That was the 1st reason, the 2nd was that I was a fan of Senator Bill Proxmire, our 'maverick' senator back then (who was really an independent) who was Democrat by party affiliation but was very fiscally responsible.

For those of you too young to remember, now Senator Herb Kohl was endorsed very late by Bill Proxmire. Kohl was a liberal-left Democrat to Proxmire's non-ideological approach, Proxmire was:
Does he sound like anyone who would neatly fit into either of today's political parties?

Proxmire held out for a long time before endorsing Kohl for the above reasons. While Proxmire never dispensed with his Democratic party affiliation, he spent the remainder of his life fighting wasteful government spending. In each of his last two Senate campaigns, Proxmire refused to take any campaign contributions and spent less than $200 out of his own pocket on each campaign.

Proxmire put his country and his convictions before his party and for that reason was a true American hero, for similar reasons, I now say Debra Bartoshevich is a true American hero. In the best of Wisconsin traditions of independence - she decided to put country before party and is going to support John McCain over Barack Obama.

Debra videos:



The image “http://www.pixiepalace.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/supergirl2.JPG” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Debra - you are my hero!

The image “http://www.50states.com/flag/image/nunst081.gif” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

On Wisconsin!
Jim

No comments:

Day By Day