Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Democratic Convention Commentary Part 4 - Hillary Barely Endorses Obama, Barely Attacks McCain

Watch her yourself,



While I really don't care for her policy-wise and certainly distrust her after the way her and Bill behaved for eight years, I'll give credit where credit is due, she looks much more Presidential in this speech than anything I have seen out of BO. She certainly hit a home run performance-wise. But let me make these observations:

1) The LAST thing she was proud of was being a supporter of Barack Obama

2) She never said she was a proud 1st Lady or wife (Bill had to feel ticklish over that I bet!) it took her 18 minutes to acknowledge Bill!

3) It took her 19 minutes to acknowledge Michelle Obama (no love lost here!)

4) It took her 6 minutes to bash McCain (No McCain) 6:45

5) I, me, mine, we - her language was very ME-focused

6) Barack Barely Mentioned Until End of speech

* "...proud supporter of Barack Obama" 4:15
* "Barack Obama is my candidate" 6:00

8+ minute gap touting me, me, me

* "...and those are the reasons I support Barack Obama for President." 14:54
* "...we need to elect Barack Obama..." 16:38
* "Barack Obama began his carreer..." 17:22
* "...and when Barack Obama is in the Whitehouse 17:44
* "...President Obama..." 18:18
* "I cannot wait to watch Barack Obama..." 18:49
* "...that President Obama will end the war in Iraq ..." 19:10
* "...and Barack will have with him a terrific partner in Michelle Obama..." 19:20
* "...Joe Biden will be at Barack Obama's side..." 19:45

7) 20+ minutes go by before she attacks McCain again after paying him compliments and her comment comparing McCain to Bush was funny, not really a big knife twister like earlier comments made by Dennis Kucinich, Claire McCaskill or Barbara Mikulski.

8) A great irony of her speech was her linking her party with equal rights for Blacks / African Americans and Women because it was the Republican Party that freed the slaves and gave both Blacks and Women the right to vote!

9) Michelle Obama looked genuinely moved twice but looked wooden or even annoyed at other parts of Hillary's speech.

10) Hillary said essentially if you agreed with her about women's issues, healthcare, etc - vote for Barack Obama. She never said why she liked him or his family and she never said why he would make a good commander in chief or leader of the free world. She paid more compliments to John McCain (called him her friend) and Joe Biden then she did to Barack Obama. Basically she said to the DNC convention goers, "Barack echoes my views so vote for him".

And of course, Bill - in a verbal smackdown said this:



Need I say more?

TTFN,

Jim

No comments:

Day By Day