Saturday, September 27, 2008

We Will Never Forget

Greetings,

As someone who lives in Merrill, Wisconsin - this was the most unbelievable moment. You see, the Jopeks - I am sure, are still mourning the loss of Ryan. Their house is on the 'main drag' in Merrill and is a place where you can pick up a Barack Obama campaign sign here in town. Merrill is a small town of about 10,000 people where everybody knows everybody and I am sure many families here in town feel very sorry for them and were surprised when Barack Obama signs appeared in their lawn. At the same time, no one could blame them after losing their son in the war for feeling how they feel. I don't know the family well myself but there have always been patriotic, pro-military signs in their lawn as long as I can remember.

When their son died, the whole town came to the funeral. Cars and motorcycles lined the roads all the way up to the cemetary for as far as the eye could see. The whole town wept and mourned for Ryan and the Jopek family. I'm getting a little teary just writing about this now.



Tonight like many election-minded Americans I was watching the Presidential debate on TV and Senator John McCain was relating a story about the mother of Matthew Stanley and how she gave him her son's bracelet. Barack Obama chimed in clumsily saying, "I've got a bracelet too." It was one of those 'me too' moments and then Barack Obama stuttered and stammered and finally looked down to see the name - the name he couldn't remember. It was Ryan Jopek. I hit the rewind button on my DVR over and over again to watch the moment. Each time I saw it I got a queasy, gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach.



I have four young children and the thought raced through my mind of how it would feel to be actively supporting a candidate and to have given him a personal possession of my deceased child and then see that politician not remember his name on national TV. For their sake, I hope none of the Jopek family was watching.

Thoughts and prayers,

Jim

2 comments:

Angelique said...

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/warner-todd-huston/2008/09/28/family-told-obama-not-wear-soldier-sons-bracelet-where-media

I think this says it all about how Obama feels about the troops. And I believe every military family member watching in America felt as you did at that point in the debate.

Jim said...

Tracy and Brian are divorced and Tracy supports Barack Obama and Brian supports McCain but neither want Obama wearing the bracelet anymore:

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/09/bracelet-wars.html

Mr. (Brian) Jopek is interviewed here:

http://clipcast.wpr.org:8080/ramgen/wpr/wau/rt51080329_iraqwar5years.mp3
(Opens Your Media Player)

That Barack Obama continues to use the bracelet as a prop (against his parent's wishes) is bad enough, that he can't recall Ryan's name is even worse.

I feel so bad for these folks.

Jim

Day By Day